Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A Moment To Honor The End Of A Wrestling Era


Today I am sad. I just found out one of my favorite wrestlers from my college days, Edge, has been forced into an early retirement due to spinal injury.  http://www.wwe.com/inside/edge-announcement  

When I was in college me and my buddies used to take time off from being model students every Monday and Thursday night to watch WWF (now WWE) and WCW, get drunk and injure each other.  My favorite wrestlers of the time were Mankind, Steve Austin, the Hardy Boyz, and Edge and Christian.  Edge and Christian used to have the insane TLC (tables, ladder, and chairs) matches with the Hardy Boyz and the Dudly Boyz.  Thses matches must have produced some of the most painful injuries in the world!  They were by far the most exciting matches to watch as well.  Here is one of the greatest matches that I have ever seen, it took place in Wrestlemania X7:

Part 1: This is a classic match.     

Part 2: At 3:42 it gets crazy.          


Part 3: This only takes :16 seconds



Since my son has gotten into wrestling about a month ago, I have started watching again too. I was really happy to see that Edge was still around.  I am glad I got to watch his final matches.

3 comments:

  1. Strangely enough, I fell into the same thing. I didn't watch for almost 10 years and then found myself this past weekend, watching all the new wrestling videos that Netflix just loaded. Weird how that stuff comes full circle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first glance... I just saw "end of an era" and "Edge" and thought... "oh no!". It's definitely a sad day... but gratefully it's not what I first thought.

    Back in the late 90's... I was into WWE... since I was all about The Rock... and I totally remember the days when Edge and Christian wore fangs. They were awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha, yeah, the fangs, that was back when they first started.

    ReplyDelete